BIOL 101 7381 Concepts of Biology (2185)
Paper - Trace the Scientific Method through a Primary Scientific Article (100 points)
Course Outcomes Addressed:
- recognize and explain how the scientific method is used to solve problems
- weigh evidence and make decisions based on strengths and limitations of scientific knowledge and the scientific method
1. Select one of the four articles below.
a) Gut bacteria from wild mice boost health in lab mice
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/10/171019143012.htm. Researchers recently reported that laboratory mice that are given the gut bacteria of wild mice are better able to survive an infection of the flu virus as well as fighting colorectal cancer.
Journal Reference: Rosshart S. P.,Vassallo, B. G.,Angeletti, D., Hutchinson, D. S.,Morgan, A. P.,Takeda, K.,Hickman H. D.,McCulloch, J. A.,Badger, J. H., Ajami, N. J.,Trinchieri, G.,Pardo-Manuel de Vilena F.,Yewdell, J. W.,Reherman, B.et al. Wild Mouse Gut Microbiota Promotes Host Fitness and Improves Disease Resistance. Cell, 2017 Nov 16;171(5):1015-1028.e13.2017 DOI: 10.1016/j.cell.2017.09.016
2. Before starting this assignment you might want to revisit the Scientific Method Tutorial in the Science Learning Center under the Content area. After selecting and reading a Science Daily article (see above), please adhere to the following:
A. Paper Format (15 points)
1. Paper label and title page (3): Label your paper with your first and last name and one of the following, based on your topic choice: Gut Bacteria, Multivitamins, Vitamin D, or Cherry Juice. For example, Sharon Brown – Cherry Juice; Title page (name, course name, instructor, title, due date)
2. Paper sections (2): labeled: B-D below
3. Paper features (2): double-spaced, 11-point Times New Roman font, 1-inch margins
4. Paper length (3): 2-3 pages, not including the title and reference pages
5. Paper references (5): in-text and end references in APA-format NO REFERENCES = ZERO
B. Trace the Scientific Method through the Scientific Article (40 points total)
1. Scientific method (12): identify and describe each step
2. Scientific method (12): identify and trace each step through the chosen article
3. Control group and treatment group (8): identify each in the article
4. Independent and dependent variables (8): identify each in the article.
C. Critique of the Scientific Article (30 points)
1. Research control and treatment groups (5): explain whether or not the control and treatment groups were appropriate for the study question and hypothesis.
2. Research methods (5): explain whether or not the methods were appropriate for the study question and hypothesis
3. Research sample size (5): explain whether or not the size was large enough for the study purposes
4. Research bias (5): explain any potential bias in this research study
5. Research conclusions (5): explain at least two limitations of this research study’s conclusions
6. Research value (5): explain whether or not this was a worthwhile study
D. Relevance of the Scientific Article (10 points)
1. Discuss the relevance of this research for the world. (5) 2. Discuss the relevance of this research for you personally. (5)
E. Paper Grammar (5 points)
Spelling, punctuation, capitalization, sentence construction, and paragraph construction will be considered in the grading of this assignment.