This forum is focused on your preparation for your first couples counseling
session. In your original thread, be sure to include the following:
- Your back-up plan (another couple that you have in mind in case this couple
cancels; remember to protect your client's confidentiality by creating a
- An outline of what you plan to cover in your first session (including
assessments such as a genogram, love maps, questionnaires, a discussion on how
the couple met, etc).
- Discussion of your pre-session "jitters" or concerns.
- Share how you plan to remember to use appropriate body language (Remember
SOLER: squarely face the clients, use open posture, lean in, and relax).
- Describe what you think might come up next in your session with the couple.
- Discuss how you will describe the homework assignment to the couple (i.e.
the PAIR assessment).
- Discuss how you will share with the the “pseudo-clients” that this is not
“real” counseling but is practice counseling for your premarital counseling
- Provide your script for how you will go over the informed consent including
how you will obtain the couple’s permission for the recorded clip of the session
and how you will explain the limits of confidentiality.
thread must be posted by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Wednesday of Module/Week 2. You must
respond to 2 of your classmates' threads by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Sunday of the