The history of correctional institutions is well-documented. Correctional institutions (jails and prisons) house individuals who are awaiting trial, serving both short and long term sentences. Correctional officers are responsible for the monitoring, treatment and supervision of individuals who have been found guilty by a court of law.
For this assignment, we will take you inside a look at the "2016 Most Violent Prison." Please review this video now if you haven't already done so, before beginning Assignment 3.
After reviewing the video, download the Assignment 3 template. Answer the following questions within the template, then upload the completed template to the assignment submission link in Week 10:
- Describe the main methods Sergeant Baldwin and his staff use to maintain order and safety in the prison. Take a position on the effectiveness, risks, pros and cons, and ethics of these methods.
- Choose one (1) of the inmates profiled in this video -Terry Dibble, Simkayta Winfield, Jerico Jones, or Gregory Crowder - and discuss their situation. Explain how they ended up at Statefield, the main issues they described facing, and the methods they use to cope with their time in prison.
- Discuss the effect you feel the presence of the active armed guards has on the violence level and overall safety within this prison.
- Describe the issue of isolation in Statesville presented in this video and the effects connections and contact with outside visitors can have on the prisoners' mental status.
- Identify at least two (2) issues that gay inmates here uniquely face. Identify at least one (1) method of protecting gay inmates against each of these identified issues.
- Take a position on how you believe conditions at Statefield could be improved. Include at least two (2) specific actions that could be taken to improve conditions (i.e. security and safety, abuse and use of force, isolation, poor food quality, etc.). Provide a rationale for your position.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Outline the major characteristics and purposes of prisons, including prisoners' rights and prison society.
- Summarize the current ethical issues faced by criminal justice professionals and the future of the criminal justice system.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in criminal justice.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic / organization of the question responses on the template, and language and writing skills, using this rubric.
Explanation & Answer
Assignment 3 Template: Corrections Case Study
Note: Please download this template, write the answers to the following questions directly within
the template, then submit the completed template through the Week 10 Assignment 3 submission
link in your Blackboard course shell. Please use the naming convention
“Assignment3_FirstName_LastName” to name this file.
1. Describe the main methods Sergeant Baldwin and his staff use to maintain order and
safety in the prison. Take a position on the effectiveness, risks, pros and cons, and ethics
of these methods.
The first method used by Sergeant Baldwin maintain order and safety is ensuring prisoners
are on lockdown for much of the time. During the lockdown period, inmates are locked in their
cells and movement to the outside is restricted. This is taken to prevent extreme situations in the
prison such violence among inmate and attacks to prison officers. The second method used is
firing shots in the air when inmate turn violent or threaten the safety of the prison officers.
Officers manning the prison carry guns that they use to fire in the air as warning shot when
inmate turn violence. This method is used when some inmates attack others or attack the prison
staff. Another method is the use of excessive force to subdue unruly inmate. The use of excessive
force is meant to serve as deterrence to other prisoners intending to cause violence incidences.
For example, the inmate who attacked the prisoner staff who was escorting him to his cell was
subdued by pepper spray. Another method used to maintain order is restricting the movement
and number of inmates who the outside to approximately 20 in order to prevent violent
© 2017 Strayer University. All Rights Reserved. This document contains Strayer University Confidential and Proprietary information
and may not be copied, further distributed, or otherwise disclosed in whole or in part, without the expressed written permission of
CRJ 100 Template for Assignment 3 1176 (05-12-2017)
Page 1 of 5