Configuring a Repository
Consider the following scenario:
Your development team is working on the version 1.0 of a software code base. This version will be the main version used for team X. Beyond that point the development team will start working on version 2.0 for team Y. However, the team should maintain version 1.0 based on the bugs found by team X and these fixes should be always applied to the 1.0 version and also to 2.0 code stream. However, bugs found in the 2.0 stream should be applied to the 1.0 code stream after close consideration to make sure that version 1.0 is not disturbed.
In order to keep track of the development and the versions under development, you will need a repository for the software that includes mechanisms for recording and tracking versions.
Based on the above scenario and your understanding, you need to:
- Identify and explain the best way to configure your repository to allow for maximum flexibility and maximum stability for your released code.
- Develop a method for configuring and managing a software repository.
- After creating the solution, search for available version control tools.
- Select the tool you believe to be the best to implement your solution.
- Describe how you would configure and manage your repository, focusing on required flexibility and stability.
- Provide a table of version control tools that you researched upon, including a description and strengths and weaknesses of each tool with respect to your configuration solution.
- Describe the version control tool you decided to implement, along with a justification explaining why you believe this tool is the best fit.
- Provide a specification of how you would set up and configure the tool to effectively handle your solution.
Support your responses with examples.
Cite any sources in APA format.
- Name your document SU_ITS3100_W4_A2_LastName_FirstInitial.doc.
- Submit your document to the Submissions Area by the due date assigned.
Explanation & Answer
COMPLETE. Kindly confirm the paper and let me know if everything is okay.
Running head: PROJECT 4
Configuring a Repository
Computers are made up of different components that work together in order to achieve
the desired goal. The software is an important component of a computer that enables users to
accomplish various tasks. They are basically a collection of computer instructions or data that
work to command or tell the computer how to work. The software is always developed in a
manner that can give room for the future changes. We are in an era of high technological
advancements where new inventions and innovations are realized almost on a daily basis. When
one version of the software is produced, various improvements are always made and termed as
another version. The original versions may not be lost but only some improvements are done and
a number of factors added or removed for efficient functioning (Loeliger & McCullough, 2012).
When making further development for the software, the repository is very vital and will also help
in tracking the software under development. This discussion majorly discusses repository which
is vital in software system version developments and the various aspects of software version
There are various ways through which the repository can be configured so as to allow
maximum flexibility and maximum stability for the code that has been written. In order to come
up with the best way to configure it, th...