Use the Capella library and the Internet to research key nursing leadership, management, and communication concepts, and take several self-assessment tests to identify your leadership style and understand how to adapt your style to various situations. Although most of the free online tests are informal measures of skills and attitudes, the results may provide helpful insight into your leadership style and strengths and weaknesses.
Deliverable: Develop a Professional Development Needs Assessment.
You have been promoted to Nurse Manager. As you transition into your new role, Human Resources (HR) requires you to participate in a leadership and management training workshop. The first day of the workshop involves a self-assessment of your leadership and communication style and an examination of key characteristics of an effective nursing leader, culminating in an assessment of your professional development needs. HR requires you to submit a Professional Development Needs Assessment so future training sessions are designed to meet those self-identified needs.
Use the following subheadings to organize your Professional Development Needs Assessment:
- Leader and Manager: Differentiate between leadership and management.
- What job tasks require a manager?
- What situations require a leader?
- Key Concepts: Explain key nursing leadership, management, and communication concepts that facilitate collaboration and support interprofessional teams.
- Explain how key nursing leadership, management, and communication concepts facilitate collaboration with interprofessional teams.
- Leadership Self-Assessment: Describe your personal leadership and communication style.
- Explain the strengths of your style that make an effective leader.
- Skill Development: Identify skills or areas for future professional development.
- What training do you need to be a successful leader in your new position?
- Written communication: Written communication should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and in-text citations should be formatted according to current APA style and formatting.
- Length: The plan should be 3–4 pages in content length, double-spaced.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
- Number of resources: Use a minimum of three peer-reviewed resources
- Giltinane, C. L. (2013). . Nursing Standard, 27(41), 35–39.
- Martin, D., Godfrey, N., & Walker, M. (2015). . Journal of Nursing Administration, 45(3), 121–123.
- Doroteo-Espinosa, M. M. (2013, February). . Paper presented at the International Conference on Management, Leadership & Governance, Kidmore End, UK.
- Dickerson, P. S. (2014). . Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 45(7), 288–289.
- Park, C. W. (2015). . Journal for Nurses in Professional Development, 31(4), 242–243.
- Hauck, S., Winsett, R. P., & Kuric, J. (2013). . Journal of Advanced Nursing, 69(3), 664–674.
Course Library Guide
A Capella University library guide has been created specifically for your use in this course. You are encouraged to refer to the resources in the to help direct your research
Access the following resources by clicking the links provided. Please note that URLs change frequently. Permissions for the following links have been either granted or deemed appropriate for educational use at the time of course publication.
The resource listed below is relevant to the topics and assessments in this course. Unless noted otherwise, this material is available for purchase from the . When searching the bookstore, be sure to look for the Course ID with the specific –FP (FlexPath) course designation.
- Kelly, P., & Tazbir, J. (2014). Essentials of nursing leadership and management (3rd ed.). Clifton Park, NY: Delmar.