Write an essay about the cultural impact of popular music on society, and how it reflects the social issues of its time of production.
- Select a popular song from the era of your choice (1950's - 2000's), and discuss its cultural impact.
- Analyze the meaning of the lyrics, and discuss how this song represents an element of popular culture/ American society.
- The main focus of your essay should be regarding symbolism, and the symbolic nature of the song you have chosen.
- Give some background into the musician or musical group you have chosen.
- Then, discuss some of the social and political issues present in American and, if relevant, international culture that were going on at the time of the song's release.
This paper should be 2-3 pages, in APA style, utilizing the college's library resources. A minimum of one scholarly article should be included in your essay.
Explanation & Answer
Running head: CULTURAL IMPACT
Often regarded to as the king of pop, Michael Jackson contribution to the popular
culture is immense. In today’s culture, many are still studying the effect that Michael had on
the culture. In his very essence, he a cultural symbol being that he was of African American
ancestry and at the time the black community in the US was largely marginalized. One of the
most pivotal moments in the history of popular culture is when Michael Jackson released the
song thriller in the year 1983. It got a lot of airplay from a station like MTV which had just
been launched. On you-tube, a video streaming platform, the song has over 150 ...