Writing 122 Rhetorical Analysis
Due Wednesday, October 17th by 5pm via Canvas
Overview & Requirements:
- 3 full pages, double-spaced in MLA format
- Includes a works cited
- Cites at least two (2) reading sources from class (Readings #1-8 allowed)
o REMEMBER: NO OUTSIDE RESEARCH ALLOWED
- Uses at least two (2) in-text citations following MLA format
- TITLE: State your enthymeme as the title of this assignment
This short answer assignment is a combination of close reading and evidence curation to support
your first major assignment. This assignment examines TWO (2) of our readings from class
(Readings #1-8). The goal of the assignment is to find applicable quotes for your final essay. To be
clear, this is not a reading summary or report. This assignment requires analysis and application of
class readings to your individual paper topics. Your analysis should begin at the originating text,
then draw connections to your enthymeme directly. Essentially, I am interested in how the readings
logically support your enthymeme and how well you explain the connection.
1. Title this assignment with the enthymeme
2. Number your assignment 1-2.
3. Next to each number, state the reading # and title that you will be analyzing
4. For each reading:
• Give a 1-2 sentence summary of the article and the author’s main point.
• Next, explain how the article’s argument relates to your enthymeme directly (exercise
some logical limberness for this, if needed). You may choose to focus in on either your
claim or your reason.
• Lastly, extract one quote from the article and explain how it can be used to support your
Grading: 2.5 points possible
- 1.5 points: Analysis and application
o Includes overall summary and critical explanations
o Analysis shows in-depth consideration of text
- 0.5 point: Quote selection
o Does your quote relate LOGICALLY to your enthymeme?
- 0.5 point: MLA formatting & mechanics (both in-text and in works cited)
This assignment is worth 2.5% of your overall grade.
WR 122 – Spring 2018
January 26, 2018
Title: Enthymeme stated here.
1. Reading # _____: Title of Article used
Text should be double spaced and in paragraph form. You need to include at least
one quote from the text and cite it in the correct MLA format. See Purdue Owl or UNC for help
2. Reading # _____: Title of Article used
Text should be double spaced and in paragraph form.
***On a new page, include a works cited.
Remember that readings will have a different format for citation.
This will be added to your 1.1 WC during revision for a longer list of works cited in your 1.2.
(See MLA template and resources on Canvas for help if needed.)
Purchase answer to see full attachment