Architecture and Space
By successfully completing this assignment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Describe the historical development of the humanities from the pre-historic era to the present.
- Assess how traditional architecture contributes to experience of spaces we inhabit.
- Competency 2: Examine the forms of expression that instantiate the arts and humanities.
- Describe the spatial and architectural features of familiar places.
- Apply theoretical principles to the architecture of everyday spaces.
- Competency 3: Integrate the humanities with everyday life.
- Illustrate the influence of architecture on personal experience.
- Competency 4: Communicate effectively in forms appropriate to the humanities..
- Write coherently to support a central idea in appropriate format with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics.
Select three different kinds of spaces with which you are familiar in everyday life: places where you live, work, play, exercise, socialize, meditate, or worship. Describe them in detail, explaining what you observe, feel, think, and do when you are in each space. Let your observation include lots of sensory inputs; you may notice visual elements first, but look for characteristic smells or sounds as well. Examine your thoughts and feelings with the same degree of attention: is this a place that uplifts you or drags you down? Finally, consider the activities you pursue here, whether they are unique to this space or associated with it in your memory.
Next, list the theoretical principles of architecture about which you learned from the unit Introduction, textbook readings, and discussion forums, and apply those principles to the spaces you have described. How do the architectural features of the space help to shape the variety of experiences you have when inhabiting it? Reflect on the traditional forms of architecture and assess how they contribute to what you observe, feel, think and do in these spaces.
Write an essay in which you describe familiar spaces and apply the architectural forms.
Refer to the Architecture and Space Scoring Guide to ensure that you meet the grading criteria for this assignment.