16. (15pts) Consider five ways a company can prioritize (IT) projects.
A. Name them
B. Provide a brief description for each of the methods
1. How does an IT project directly produce more earning for a business’ bottom line?
The company’s revenue or gross sale
2. By measuring several business touch points with a balanced scorecard, a more holistic view of an IT project’s value can help in prioritization. Some sample metrics include: Shareholder value, expense management, risk management, and contribution to firmwide priorities.
3. Creating a formalized list of criteria by which to measure an IT project, with a prioritized list of end goals from an IT project, and measured by an experienced staff familiar with the standardized metrics.
C. Name a benefit and a shortcoming of each of the methods and when you would recommend using each.
17. (10pts) Name two significant barriers to IT conversion that exist and provide real world examples in which each of the barriers were overcome for a project’s success or in which they were not overcome and the projects were impaired or failed as a result.
- (10pts) A real world example (with URL) of each of the five types of IT initiatives.
- (10pts) Find a company that you believe or can prove is not delivering IT value successfully. Evaluate which principle(s) you believe they are not following (with references for why you believe that to be the case) and propose how you improve the situation (with actionable specifics).
- (10pts) Find a current or former company that has been disrupted (ie significant loss of revenue, market share, bankruptcy). Reference the year that this occurred and the cause. Using critical success factors, what changes would you have made 2 years prior as the CTO of that company?
- (15pts) Identify a company that uses shared services.
- A. List one or more of their shared services
- B. Determine the actual cost of outsourcing one of the shared services.
- C.(Make assumptions where necessary, use references, actual numbers)
- D. Make a recommendation of another shared service not currently utilized today and list pros and cons for evaluating whether to make it a shared service.
(be specific to this service proposal)
- Indicate which stage of IT maturity both the evaluated and proposed service are.
22. (10pts) You are the CIO of a retail company, make the case for your preferred delivery option for Application Development. Include evaluation of each of the applicable criteria in your justification.
23. (2pts) What is the hardest part of generating an IT budget.