Textbook Pg # 1709-1775
DEATH OF A SALESMAN
For this discussion, write about one of the following topics:
- How does the play depict Willy Loman's mental processes, the inside
of his mind? What devices are used to achieve such an effect (e.g., set
changes, flashbacks, imaginary dialogue, imaginary characters, etc.)?
Cite specific examples and what effects they have on the play.
- How does Willy's innate sense of excessive pride (hubris) manifest in the play? Cite specific examples.
- Your original post must be at least 400 words.
- You should be specific and reference details from the text for your answer.
- Your post must demonstrate your understanding of the topic.
- You must use full sentences and proper grammar.
- Remember that you are writing an objective analysis, not a personal opinion or review. To that end, you should be using the third person.
Explanation & Answer
Running head: SENSE OF EXCESSIVE PRIDE
Sense of Excessive Pride
SENSE OF EXCESSIVE PRIDE
In the textbook, pride is used to function as a means of self-deception as well as a coping
mechanism. The Lomans, especially Willy, are tremendously proud although the basis for their
pride is not at all founded in reality. On his side, Willy is pleased and celebrates his surprising
success in business. He also praises his son’s accomplishments while the Lomans continue to
struggle financially. Willy i...