Write a short essay that responds to the following prompt. Your essay should be 400 to 500 words. If shorter than 400 words of text, there will be a grade reduction. If your paper exceeds 500 words --- note that I will stop reading at 600 words.
At the discretion of the instructor, points will be taken off any response that does not fulfill all of these goals. Late points will be deducted according to the standard late submission policy.
All writing assignments are due by 11:59 p.m. CT on the Sunday.
Essay Do's and Don't
- Do properly cite everything in the paper that you are using or copying from outside sources in APA format and use proper, college-level writing.
- Do utilize critical writing and critical thinking.
- Don't make up your own and think it will not have a detrimental effect on your grade.
- Don't copy more than 20 percent of the paper.
- Don't write in the first person or in conversational tone. This is an academic paper, not a personal conversation. Sorry to be so blunt; but, this is not a writing class.
Respond to one of the essay prompts below:
- Describe the U.S. jail population. List at least 4 distinct populations likely to be held in a jail. Identify the specific complications associated with the 4 populations you’ve identified. Discuss the management challenges this poses.
- Define and explain intermediate sanctions. Discuss the main argument for the use of intermediate sanctions instead of prison. What are the two basic goals of these sanctions? Finally, identify and discuss at least three problems with intermediate sanctions. Are these problems solvable?
- Please define the following terms: 1) Probation 2) Parole. What are the major similarities and difference between the two sanctions? How are these sanctions commonly used in the U.S. today? Please explain your answer.
- Please list, explain, and give examples of the four major goals of punishment. Be very complete in your response in your explanation of the differences, pros and cons, and applicability.