Your midterm will be an essay based on Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell.
You will choose one of the following two prompts and write an essay based on it.
- What are the most important factors that go into a student's success in education (and life)? Choose at least 3 factors.
- Critically assess Outliers for its Quality of Evidence, Quality of Writing Style, and Quality of Counterargument, as well as logical fallacies and appeals.
Both options will require that you refer to Outliers and Gladwell in your intro and write a cited biography for Gladwell.
Both options will require a works cited page with Outliers as an entry, as well as your biography sources (at least two credible sources).
The files in this module should help you by:
- showing you an example of a research file you can upload with your midterm essay
- giving you an example of a topic sentence and paraphrasing that a bio paragraph needs
- providing a biography and works cited sample (not on Gladwell)
- providing notes on important chapters and topics (10,000 Hour Rule, Marita's Bargain and Success in Schools, Critique of Outliers)
- Showing you a sample outline (which you will also be required to make)
ATTACHED FILES DOWN BELOW:
sample outlines for each midterm options
what the midterm is being graded on (please look at)
class notes on the chapters.
OUTLIERS BOOK PDF: