Guide for Essay II
Write an essay to explain what you have learned by reading the book Quiet Odyssey: A Pioneer Korean Woman in America. Your essay should focus on one of the two following topics:
1) to explain how the life of Mary Paik Lee and her family members revealed the interactions between US and Asia in the 20th century;
2) to discuss why some Korean people chose to migrate to the US in the early 20th century, how they managed to settle down in the US, and what were the challenges in their life here.
1. You need to read the entire book before writing the essay.
2. The essay should be based on your original ideas. No plagiarism will be tolerated.
3.Your essay should focus on either of the two given topics, and should place the story of Lee’s family in a broader historical context.
4. Your essay should NOT be an exclusive summary of the book
5. Your essay should at least include a citation from one of the course materials (the lectures, Cohen’s book, or the course pack).
6. Font: Times New Roman, size 12
7. Length: double space, 4 pages.
8. Citation: Use whatever citation style that works for you. But make sure
the page numbers, authors, and sources are clearly listed.
9. Footnote only. No endnote or in-text note.
10. No paragraph should be longer than 3/4 of a page.
11. No sentence should be longer than 4 lines.
12.Each paragraph should have a topic sentence.
13.The essay should have a title, page numbers, your name, your MSU ID,
and the date of submission on it.
1. The essay assignment is 15 points in total.
2. The grade of an essay is based on the clarity of the thesis, the validity of the arguments,
the soundness of your understanding of the novel and grammatical accuracy.
3. Late essay will be downgraded by 3 points everyday after the deadline.
4. Failure in completing an essay requirement will result in the failure of this course.
5. Any type of plagiarism will result in a zero in the essay and will be reported as academic