Global Investment case The Gibson Company is a United

School: Acupuncture and Massage College           Price: $10.00 USD

Document Description

The Gibson Company is a United States (US) firm that is considering a joint venture with Brasilia, DF, a Brazilian firm that grows and processes coffee beans. Gibson has a patent for a new coffee processing method. This intellectual property is motivating Gibson to expand beyond importing coffee to engaging in a joint venture to process the coffee. Gibson will invest $8 million in the proposed joint venture project, which will help to finance Brasilia 's production using the newly patented process.


The Brazilian government has guaranteed that the after-tax profits (denominated in Reals, the Brazilian currency) can be converted to US dollars at the current exchange rate and sent to the Gibson Company each year. Current exchange rates can be found at http://www.oanda.com.


For each of the first five years, 60 percent of the total profits will be distributed to Brasilia, while the remaining 40 percent will be converted to dollars to be sent to Gibson. The income tax rate for the

Written By

Studypool Tutor
Acupuncture and Massage College
The Gibson Company is a United States (US) firm that is considering a joint venture with Brasilia, DF, a Brazilian firm that grows and procbeans. Gibson has a patent for a new coffee processing method. This intellectual property is motivating Gibson to expand beyond imporengaging in a joint venture to process the coffee. Gibson will invest $8 million in the proposed joint venture project, which will help to finanproduction using the newly patented process.The Brazilian government has guaranteed that the after-tax profits (denominated in Reals, the Brazilian currency) can be converted to UScurrent exchange rate and sent to the Gibson Company each year. Current exchange rates can be found at http://www.oanda.cFor each of the first five years, 60 percent of the total profits will be distributed to Brasilia, while the remaining 40 percent will be convertedsent to Gibson. The income tax rate for the joint venture will be 10%. However, the Brazilian government is considering raising the income tathe present time, the Brazilian government doe not impose a separate income tax on profits sent out of the country. However, the Brazilianconsidering imposing an additional 10 percent income tax on profits distributed to a foreign company. Assume that there are no other formconsidering the taxes paid in Brazil, assume an additional seven percent tax imposed by the US government on profits received by GibsoThe expected total profits resulting from the joint venture per year are
lock_open Buy Document

Reviews from Students

Studypool Student
"Very Satisfied."
Ask your homework questions. Receive quality answers!

Type your question here (or upload an image)

1824 tutors are online

Brown University





1271 Tutors

California Institute of Technology




2131 Tutors

Carnegie Mellon University




982 Tutors

Columbia University





1256 Tutors

Dartmouth University





2113 Tutors

Emory University





2279 Tutors

Harvard University





599 Tutors

Massachusetts Institute of Technology



2319 Tutors

New York University





1645 Tutors

Notre Dam University





1911 Tutors

Oklahoma University





2122 Tutors

Pennsylvania State University





932 Tutors

Princeton University





1211 Tutors

Stanford University





983 Tutors

University of California





1282 Tutors

Oxford University





123 Tutors

Yale University





2325 Tutors