Access over 20 million homework & study documents
search

03_Ethics unit01 DQ2

Content type

User Generated

Type

Homework

Rating

Showing Page:
1/1
We live in a democracy. Why don't we determine moral right and wrong by seeing what the
majority of people believe? That is, why don't we use prevailing social opinion?
I could be wrong, but I believe we live in a republic not a democracy. The difference is every
single person has rights that are afforded to them by the United States Constitution, and those
rights are not divisible by what the majority says, if fact it's just the opposite. In a democracy, 51
percent determines the rights of the other 49 percent, which is not the case in America.
If we were to use prevailing social opinion as our system to determine morality, it wouldn’t take
very long before the minority, whoever they may be would be severely oppressed by a system
that does not provide equality to everyone at all times. Don’t get me wrong, our government
actually does try to be "democratic" on certain issues, and we all know where that ends up
(usually in a filibuster or somewhere in a gray area).

Sign up to view the full document!

lock_open Sign Up

Unformatted Attachment Preview

We live in a democracy. Why don't we determine moral right and wrong by seeing what the majority of people believe? That is, why don't we use prevailing social opinion? I could be wrong, but I believe we live in a republic not a democracy. The difference is every single person has rights that are a ...
Purchase document to see full attachment
User generated content is uploaded by users for the purposes of learning and should be used following Studypool's honor code & terms of service.

Anonymous
Just what I needed…Fantastic!

Studypool
4.7
Trustpilot
4.5
Sitejabber
4.4