Showing Page:
1/1
Question 15
The total concentration of solute in red blood cells is approximately two percent. Under this
condition, urea and water can pass through the membrane, but sucrose cannot. Therefore,
osmosis would shrink red blood cells when immersed in hypertonic sucrose solution.
On the other hand, red blood cells have 99.15% of water, and the salt concentration takes the
remaining 0.85%.
Question 16
When red blood cells are placed in a hypertonic solution, osmosis occurs. Osmosis is the solvent
molecule movement from a highly concentrated region to a low concentrated one through a
semi-permeable membrane. In this case, the solute or the sucrose will not enter the membrane,
and placing the cell in hypertonic solution will cause water to move out of the cell, and thus the
cell shrinks. The cell has more free water than the solution.
When red blood cells are placed in a hypotonic solution, there will be water movement into the
cell. The volume of the cell intracellular increases, and the solute concentration decreases. The
red blood cells swell and burst due to the hemolysis process.
Question 17
Red blood cells in hypotonic solution swell as water enters the cell. When the red blood cells
rupture, they lose the hemoglobin, reducing its concentration. While in the hypertonic solution,
the cell does not burst, and thus, hemoglobin concentration does not decrease.
Therefore, red blood cells in hypertonic solution will swell and burst, while in a hypertonic
solution, it loses water and crenation.

Unformatted Attachment Preview

Question 15 The total concentration of solute in red blood cells is approximately two percent. Under this condition, urea and water can pass through the membrane, but sucrose cannot. Therefore, osmosis would shrink red blood cells when immersed in hypertonic sucrose solution. On the other hand, red blood cells have 99.15% of water, and the salt concentration takes the remaining 0.85%. Question 16 When red blood cells are placed in a hypertonic solution, osmosis occurs. Osmosis is the solvent molecule movement from a highly concentrated region to a low concentrated one through a semi-permeable membrane. In this case, the solute or the sucrose will not enter the membrane, and placing the cell in hypertonic solution will cause water to move out of the cell, and thus the cell shrinks. The cell has more free water than the solution. When red blood cells are placed in a hypotonic solution, there will be water movement into the cell. The volume of the cell intracellular increases, and the solute concentration decreases. The red blood cells swell and burst due to the hemolysis process. Question 17 Red blood cells in hypotonic solution swell as water enters the cell. When the red blood cells rupture, they lose the hemoglobin, reducing its concentration. While in the hypertonic solution, the cell does not burst, and thus, hemoglobin concentration does not decrease. Therefore, red blood cells in hypertonic solution will swell and burst, while in a hypertonic solution, it loses water and crenation. Name: Description: ...
User generated content is uploaded by users for the purposes of learning and should be used following Studypool's honor code & terms of service.
Studypool
4.7
Trustpilot
4.5
Sitejabber
4.4