I need this in a word document...
Week 2 - Assignment
Setting the Stage for Success
Differentiated instruction doesn’t start with teaching; it starts with building relationships that begin with a safe, positive classroom environment. This week you will create a differentiated classroom framework based on a design that was originally constructed to assist teachers in meeting the new Common Core State Standards in an inclusion classroom (Voltz, Sims, Nelson & Bivens, 2005). This framework will be shared with other teachers in your Professional Learning Community (PLC) with the shared vision of creating a strong school vision that is student-centered through the foundations of differentiation.
You will design a differentiated classroom environment plan that includes a physical layout along with pro-social strategies for encouraging positive behaviors. This may be presented as a Prezi or PowerPoint, in a Voicethread with audio narration, blog space, or using a standard Word document. The length of presentation style will be determined by your choice of presentation tool. Each section below must be thoroughly addressed. The minimum length requirements are listed below.
Demographics - A brief description of your current (or fictional classroom):
- Grade Level/ Subject Area
- Total number of students – ability levels, gender, students with special needs, English language learners (ELLs), and other relevant information
– How will you use foundational concepts of differentiated instruction to design your classroom’s physical layout to meet the demographics you’ve outlined? You must include at least one scholarly, research-based article to support your design.
Furniture arrangement (this includes: students desks, teacher(s)’ desk, computers, reading corner, library, pets, ‘quiet zone’) and architecture (this includes immobile objects and structures such as: doors, windows, bathroom, sink, bulletin boards,) chalk/ white boards)
You must include either a diagram, photos, or illustration along with a written (three to four paragraphs) or narrated explanation (one to two minutes) of how you chose this particular layout as it relates to your class demographics Classroom Environment - Minimum Length Requirements:
Positive Behavior Environment
- Prezi or PowerPoint – three slides
- Blog or Standard word document – three to four paragraphs
- Narrated Voicethread – one to two minutes
– How will you encourage positive behavior using proactive differentiated strategies based on current (within the last five years) research?
Positive Behavior Environment - Minimum Length Requirements:
- Rules and routines that maximize success
- Value individual differences
- Emotionally safe environment
- Specific behaviors are expected (respect, listening, problem-solving…)
- Prezi or PowerPoint – six slides
- Blog or Standard Word document – six paragraphs
- Narrated Voicethread – three minutes