ue Week 4 and worth 75 points
This assignment contains two (2) Sections: Visio Diagram and Design Summary. You must submit both sections as separate files in order to complete this assignment.
Use “Appendix A: Designing Databases with Visio Professional: A Tutorial,” to help you complete Section 1: Visio Database Design. (Note: This tutorial focuses on the use of Microsoft Visio. Open source applications are not covered in Appendix A; however, the use of open source applications within labs is permitted.) Click here to download Appendix A.
After reviewing your database design from Lab 1: Creating a Database Design in Visio, the college has provided more information for the database that they want developed:
- For each student, the college needs to track the student ID, student names, addresses, start date, phone numbers and types (such as mobile, home, work), email addresses and types (such as personal, school, work), gender, and birth date.
- For each course, the college needs to track the course ID, course name, department, quarters offered, sections, and instructor teaching each course.
- For each instructor, the college needs to track the instructor ID, name, address, phone numbers and types (such as mobile, home, work), email addresses and types (such as personal, school, work), gender, birth date, and the courses that each instructor is qualified to teach.
- Additionally, the college needs to track the final grades for each student after each course has completed.
Section 1: Modified Visio Diagram
(Microsoft Visio or equivalent)
1. Use Microsoft Visio (or open source equivalent) in which you:
a. Modify the database diagram from Lab 1 with the entities and attributes that the scenario identified (i.e., a college tracking students, courses, and instructors).
b. Create the appropriate relationships between each entity within the diagram.
Section 1 of your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Submit the Visio diagram as a Visio file.
Section 2: Design Summary
(Microsoft Word or equivalent)
1. Write a one to two (1-2) page paper in which you:
a. Discuss the degree to which you believe the Visio diagram reflects the database design.
b. Describe any assumptions that you had to make about the business rules to in order to create the Visio diagram and the associated relationships.
Section 2 of your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Submit the design summary as a Microsoft Word file.
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Describe the role of databases and database management systems in managing organizational data and information.
- Recognize the historical development of database management systems and logical data models.
- Compose conceptual data modeling techniques to capture the information requirements.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in database systems.
- Write clearly and concisely about relational database management systems using proper writing mechanics and technical style convention