Assignment 3: Component Interface for an Emergency Control Room
Due Week 7 and worth 100 points
As the lead software engineer for a medium-sized hospital, you have been asked to spearhead an effort to improve the tracking of Voice Over IP (VOIP) calls made within the hospital system. You have also been asked to begin planning out an emergency vehicle discovery program that will improve the response times of medical personnel to remote emergency locations by pinpointing the closest vehicle to the emergency using GPS.
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
- Design the Requires and the Provides interfaces of at least two (2) components that might be used in a system in an emergency control room for a call-logging component that records calls made.
- Design the interfaces of at least two (2) components that might be used in a system in an emergency control room for a vehicle discovery component that, given a post code (zip code) and an incident type, finds the nearest suitable vehicle to be dispatched to the incident.
- Include both the Requires interface and the Provides interface in your design.
- Develop a visual rendering depicting your design through the use of Microsoft Visio or its open source alternative, Dia. Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
- Include charts or diagrams created in Visio or an equivalent such as Dia. The completed diagrams / charts must be imported into the Word document before the paper is submitted.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Explain the importance of software reuse.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in software engineering.
- Write clearly and concisely about software engineering using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.