- Executive Summary
- Industry – history/description;
- Leading Companies in the Industry (2) – their history/background; strategic leadership, vision, mission;
- Your Company – brief description, history, position in industry.
- External Environment Analysis
- General Environment – Trends/Factors of Technology, Demographic, Economic,Political/Legal, Socio-cultural and Global;
- Industry Environment – For example, Porter’s Five Forces or a Strategic Group Map;
- Competitor Environment – Future Objectives, Current Strategies, Assumptions,Capabilities.
- Include within the external environment analysis Driving Forces and Key SuccessFactors.
3. Internal Environment Analysis
a. The Organization’s Resources, Capabilities, Core Competencies, DistinctiveCompetencies (or Competitive Advantages: determine using the Four Criteria Test), andSupply and Distribution Chains should be addressed.
b. Financials – Key business financial strength statistics (e.g. liquidity); identify anysignificant trends (5 year; include competitor figures where relevant).
c. Note: The concepts of Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats should beaddressed somewhere in the paper, but necessarily as a SWOT chart.
4. Strategic Analysis
a. Identify and assess the current competitive strategy of the organization and theconditions that created that strategy (internal and/or external).
b. Identify any changes in strategy that the organization has experienced (including anychanges in the scope of operations, vertical or horizontal expansion, and approach to the global economy).
5. Final Report Analysis
a. Key Result Areas (select and describe 8 key items from the SWOT to be strategicallyaddressed)
c. Decision Criteria (evidence that supports the strategies, e.g. core competencies, pro forma)
d. Balanced Scorecard
a. Financial statements
ANALYSES TO CONSIDER WHILE PREPARING YOUR REPORT
Note: This is not a “to-do” list. These are areas and concepts discussed in the course that will have an impact on the business strategy. These concepts (if not these specific formats) should be addressed somewhere in your analysis.
- The Macro-Environment
- The Five Forces Model of Competition
- Strategic Group Map
- Industry “Entry Barriers” assessment (as they impact your business)
- Internal Analysis (tangible and intangible resources, capabilities, core competencies, distinctivecompetence, criteria test)
- Relevant Key Financial Ratios (Table 4.1)
- The Basic Value Chain
- Issues surrounding business ethics; identify areas of socially responsible behavior
- Paper should be no longer than 30 pages in length
- Ensure professional presentation with proper spelling, grammar, etc.
- Must have proper in-text citations and reference page