Term Paper: Mobile Computing and Social Networks
Due Week 10 and worth 200 points
There are thousands of iPhone Apps, iPad Apps, and Android Apps that
have been developed to perform a myriad of tasks and processes.
Initially, most of these applications were games intended to be played
on mobile devices. The popularity of these applications led businesses
to ponder whether some of their business process applications that run
on desktop platforms and the Web could be redesigned to run on mobile
devices. The answer was a resounding yes! For example, Nationwide
developed the Nationwide® Mobile, a free iPhone App that allows its
insurance policyholders to file a claim on the spot when an accident
occurs. The application can snap pictures of the accident and attach
them to the claim data and upload the claim information to a server.
This reduces the length of time to process a claim filed this way.
Nationwide competitors have followed suit and developed iPhone, iPad,
and Android applications of their own. Policyholders can receive
messages via Facebook or Twitter. Other business processes that have
been reengineered as a result of mobile computing include Quick Response
(QR) codes which have replaced one-dimensional bar codes. They are read
using mobile devices, accepting credit card payments from an iPhone,
iPad or Android device, depositing checks using an iPhone without
visiting a bank, and many more. Write a ten to fifteen (10-15) page term
paper in which you:
- Assess the effectiveness and efficiency
mobile-based applications provide to capture geolocation data and
customer data, and quickly upload to a processing server without users
having to use a desktop system.
- Evaluate benefits realized by consumers because of the ability to gain access to their own data via mobile applications.
- Examine the challenges of developing applications that run on mobile devices because of the small screen size.
- Describe the methods that can be used to decide which platform to support, i.e., iPhone, iPad, Windows Phone, or Android.
- Mobile applications require high availability because end users need to have continuous access to IT and IS systems.
- Discuss ways of providing high availability.
devices are subjected to hacking at a higher rate than non-mobile
devices. Discuss methods of making mobile devices more secure.
at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note:
Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with
one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA
or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional
- Include a cover page containing the title of the
assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title,
and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in
the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Explain how the components of an information technology system interrelate in an organizational context.
- Describe the use of network management, Web, wireless, and mobility technologies.
- Describe and identify the uses of business process management and systems development.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in information systems and technology.
clearly and concisely about topics related to information systems for
decision making using proper writing mechanics and technical style
Need to be orginal work no plarizlism.