Answer ALL questions by drawing from the appropriate class readings and class discussions. Each answer should be two to three paragraphs long and must be supported by a careful selection of details taken from the class material.
1) What were main characteristics of NYC when it was, as Freeman called it, a “social democratic polity?” What kind of urban economy supported this polity while it lasted?
2) The simplistic way of understanding the Fiscal Crisis of 1975 merely stresses the fact that the city was spending beyond its means on social services. What is the more complex and more historically accurate explanation?
3) How was the Fiscal Crisis settled? What impact did the particular form this settlement took have on the social democratic polity, on the city’s working class, on the relations between classes in the city more generally?
4) Describe the main characteristics of the Post—Crisis Regime in NYC, from Koch to Bloomberg. What happened to the public sector and public services? What kind of economic/tax policies were put in place and who in the main benefitted from them? What kind of city do we now have?
5) Read Intro, PLUS TWO of the following chapters in New Labor in New York: 3, 4, 5, 9 and 11.
A. Provide summaries of the Intro, and of the two chapters you chose.
B. Describe what you, as a member of a union, have in common with those involved in the labor and community organizing efforts discussed.
NO PLAGARISM! (WILL BE VERIFIED)
ALL ORIGINAL WORK
12 PT FONT
NO HEADING NECESSARY