Due Week 3 and worth 120 points
This assignment consists of two (2) sections: a written project plan and a
PowerPoint presentation. You must submit the two (2) sections as separate files
for the completion of this assignment. Label each file name according to the
section of the assignment it is written for.
Section 1: Written Project Plan
Imagine you are a software engineer working on a fixed budget and you are
tasked to develop a Web-based student registration system. This Web-based system
allows students to register for classes, authenticate their credentials, and
select classes for which they are eligible to register. It also registers the
students, prints a confirmation receipt, and prepares a registration invoice.
You have been asked to provide senior management with a detailed summary,
activity graph, and project plan of how you plan to execute the project.
Write a five to six (5-6) page paper in which you:
- Describe the development of the student registration project as a work
breakdown structure of actions and transitions among these actions.
- Create an activity graph from the breakdown structure using Microsoft Visio
or its open source alternative, Dia. Be sure to identify the time estimates and
critical path in your submission. Note: The graphically depicted solution is not
included in the required page length.
- Write a project plan for this project which includes, but is not limited to,
a risk analysis, task scheduling, and personnel staffing for the project.
- Provide a rationale for the decisions you made in your project plan to
Section 1 of this assignment must follow these formatting
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch
margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or
school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s
name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and
the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
- Include charts or diagrams created in MS Visio or Dia as an appendix of the
project plan. All references to these diagrams must be included in the body of
the project plan.
Section 2: PowerPoint Presentation
The senior management team has also requested that you present the plan in
a concise presentation to the Board of Directors during the organization’s next
Create a five to ten (5-10) slide PowerPoint presentation for the
presentation to the Board of Directors in which you:
- Present the proposed plan documented in the written project plan.
- Include the key elements of the project plan (i.e., work breakdown
structure, activity graph, risk management, project schedule, and project
- Include a justification of the decisions made in the proposed plan to senior
- Create bulleted speaking notes for the presentation to the Board of
Directors in the Notes section of the PowerPoint. Note: You may create or assume
any fictitious names, data, or scenarios that have not been established in this
assignment for a realistic flow of communication.
- Use a professional technically written style to graphically convey the
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment
- Develop project plans and schedules that satisfy user requirements.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in software
- Write clearly and concisely about advanced software engineering topics using
proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic /
organization of the paper, and language and writing skills. Click here to access the rubric for this assignment.