Discussion Question 1
Understanding health care information systems planning and
implementation is an important skill for health care leaders. Technology
is advancing and the adoption of information systems in healthcare has
progressed from being just a cool tool to a must have in terms of
quality, access, profitability, and competitiveness. It is inevitable
that managers and/or leaders will be faced with technology changes
and/or upgrades; making the need to understand the basics of health care
information system development and the standards required fundamental.
Health leaders are charged with mandating and facilitating set
data/information standards (classification, codes, data, etc.) set forth
by the HITECH Act and HIPAA. One such standard is the Nationwide Health
Information Network (NwHIN) which enables health information exchange
on the worldwide web. In a 300 word initial response, address the
Discussion Question 2
- What processes are involved in a systems development lifecycle?
- Explain each process and how they relate to one another.
- Next, apply each process.
- How are the processes used in health care information system development?
- What are the four methods of development of health care information system standards?
- How do these methods affect interoperability?
- Name three organizations as well as the roles they play in standard development
Acquiring health information systems requires astute leadership. An
acquisition is migrating from one system to another. The imposition and
realization of applicable standards, system requirements, legalities,
finances, human resources, and need must all be considered before an
acquisition can be successfully executed. Review the case, Acquiring an
EHR System, from pages 215-218 of your course text. In a 300-word
initial post, discuss the pros and cons of the case by addressing the
- What was the main concept of the case?
- Who was involved in the acquisition?
- What system was acquired?
- What were the identified positives (pros) with the acquisition?
- What were the identified negatives (cons) with the acquisition?