In this lab we will examine the impact of traffic on major cities by running a few test simulations as well as examining data on the topic. Please answer the following questions in detail.
1. What are some major challenges you feel cities face when dealing with and handling large amounts of traffic? What could be some potential solutions that could minimize some traffic congestion?
2. The following website has a simplistic web based traffic simulator (http://www.traffic-simulation.de/). You may have to enable a java plug-in to use the program. Run several tests to see which changes have the largest impact on the flow of traffic. Describe your observations and include which factors had the most negative and most positive effects on traffic flow.
3. Adjust the politeness factor and describe your observations with the simulation (the cars do behave differently). Do you think a city that had more polite drivers vs. non polite drivers would have better traffic patterns? Explain.
4. Find 2 – 3 other live data feeds for current traffic conditions
5. Closely Examine Baltimore City’s data on Traffic Citations. (It may be slow due to the amount of data and your connection speed). What are some of the major reasons for the citations? Is anything surprising to you from the data shown? (https://data.baltimorecity.gov/Financial/Parking-Citations/n4ma-fj3m)
6. Find a location from one of the citations you found from question 5 above, and find the specific address of the citation using Google Map – Street View. Can you find anything that may be in favor of the driver to potentially fight the citation? (for example, low visibility of street signs, poor street lighting etc, If you can find a reason – If not, then explain why the driver would clearly be at fault). Submit the Street View and citation description along with your answer. (You can find the street view link, by clicking on the link icon near the printer icon on the left side).
7. To help minimize some of the traffic problems in Midland, Texas – the implentation of a outdoor wireless network was installed to better capture real time traffic data for a more reactive traffic management sytem. Summarize the folling article in 2-3 paragraphs. http://www.cisco.com/web/strategy/docs/gov/Midland_case_Study.pdf