Ethical Resource Allocation
Work through the simulation titled Resource Allocation
from the end of Chapter 8 of your course text. Review the various options in the simulation, then select “Your Own Option” to type out your own solution to the scenario. You will need to copy and paste your response from “Your Own Option” into the discussion board forum as it will not be transferred otherwise. Here is a brief synopsis of the simulation regarding the hospital’s budget and dilemma:
Hospital costs in millions for one year:
- One 35-year-old cancer patient who needs significant time with the doctor, medical supplies, tests, and around the clock care. Cost: 100
- Emergency Room operations for daily care and treatment of about 100 people (~365,000/year). Cost: 100
- 2 Senior Patients who need hip replacement surgery. Cost: 50
- 10 patients (ranging in age from 18 to 45) receiving assistance in your inpatient drug/alcohol rehab unit. Cost:100
- An MRI unit that is on the fritz and could die any day. Replacement Cost: 170
- One of your two X-ray machines is inoperable and must be replaced. Cost 100
- Ambulance drive-in area was damaged and needs to be repaired. Cost: 25
- Training needs for nursing staff for certification requirements. Cost: 55
TOTAL: $700 million
For this discussion, address the following:
- You have $700 million in expenses and only $500 million to work with. How do allocate your resources?
- Who gets treated and who has to wait?
- What about your facilities?
- Determine what you plan to do and explain your reasoning as well as the ethical considerations behind your decision.
Your initial response must be at least 250 words and must use at least two scholarly sources.Required Response
: Review your classmates’ resource allocation plan and justification. Analyze the ethical concerns you have that may negatively impact the hospital. Describe the potential backlash that may result from their plan. Respond to at least two classmates. Your response must be at least 100 words.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric
for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your post and responses.