Prior to beginning work on this discussion, review the webpages Disruptive Innovations in Higher Education (Links to an external site.) and 2018 Most Innovative Schools (Links to an external site.).
As you read the article on “2018 Most Innovative Schools,” you may have noticed that each of the universities listed demonstrated formidable achievements, but that few were related to student learning, effective operations, or improvements in approaches to higher education. The achievements were mainly research related.
Some have argued (as noted in the article “Disruptive Innovations in Higher Education”) that universities’ innovations should be in the form of adapting to business models; creating new lines of business such as continuing education, facilitating business training, and professional development; and/or focusing on outcomes.
For this discussion choose one of the articles listed on the web page “Disruptive Innovations in Higher Education” to critically assess and discuss.
In your initial post,
- Provide a citation and web link for the article you critically analyzed (Here is the link to the article I've chosen. Rethinking college: Disruptive innovation, no reform, is needed https://www.brookings.edu/blog/social-mobility-mem...)
- Provide a brief overview of the article.
- Critically assess the innovation described with respect to its viability, usefulness, and overall value.
In your critical assessment, address questions such as the following. (Note that you don’t have to answer these precise question, which are provided only as possible avenues for inquiry.)
- Is the innovation something that would appeal to you as a learner or to others in your social group?
- What characteristics and/or qualities make it viable and potentially useful?
- What are the flaws in the innovation?
- What are some of the concepts that you find appealing?