Students, please view the "Submit a Clickable Rubric Assignment" in the
Instructors, training on how to grade is within the
Assignment 1.1: Industrialization After the Civil War Thesis and
After the Civil War, the United States became a much more industrialized
society. Between 1865 and 1920, industrialization improved American life in many
ways. However, industrialization also created problems for American society.
Consider events that took place after the Civil War and discuss ways that
industrialization affected the U.S. between 1865 and 1920.
For the first part of this assignment you will create a thesis statement. A
thesis statement is usually a single sentence somewhere in your first paragraph
that presents your main idea to the reader. The body of the essay organizes the
material you gather and present in support of your main idea. Keep in mind that
a thesis is an interpretation of a question or subject, not the subject itself.
(Note: Please consult the Purdue OWL Website with tips on how
to construct a proper thesis; the website can be found at: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/545/01/
For the next part of this assignment you will create an outline of the main
points you want to address in this paper. This outline will serve as the basis
for your Assignment 1.2 Final Draft. (Note: Please use the Purdue Owl Website to
assist you with this assignment; this website can be accessed at: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/engagement/2/2/55/
1. Write a thesis statement that is one to two (1-2) sentences
long in which you:
- State your thesis on how industrialization after the Civil War influenced
U.S. society, economy, and politics. Justify your response.
2. Write a one to two (1-2) page outline in which you:
- Determine three (3) major aspects of industrialization between 1865 and 1920
that influenced U.S. society, economy, and politics. (Consider issues such as
geography, entrepreneurship, legislative representation, etc.)
- List five (5) specific groups that were affected by industrialization.
Provide two (2) examples for each group describing how the group was affected.
(Consider issues such as race, ethnicity, gender, child labor, etc.)
- List five (5) ways that industrialization affected the life of the average
working American during this period.
- Use at least three (3) academic references besides or in addition to the
textbook. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch
margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or
school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's
name, the professor's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and
the reference page are not included in the required assignment page
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment
- Identify and discuss the different ways that the Civil War, Reconstruction,
and Industrialization after the Civil War have shaped America's history.
- Summarize and discuss the ways that formal policies of government have
influenced the direction of historical and social development in the United
- Recognize the major turning points in American history since the Civil
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in contemporary
- Write clearly and concisely about contemporary U.S. history using proper
Click here to view the grading rubric.