Written Assignment: Surface Area and Volume of Objects
For this assignment, you will be finding the surface area and the volume of three different three-dimensional figures. You will need to find three figures and measure the dimensions using a ruler or tape measure.
Step 1: Find 3 three-dimensional figures around your house. These can be anything from a soup can to the shower stall (Be creative!!). You need to pick at least two different shapes (ie, not all rectangular).
Step 2: Sketch each figure and label the dimensions (using appropriate units).
Step 3: Find the surface area of each figure. Make sure to draw the surfaces of the figure as we learned in this lesson. Show all work and label your answers appropriately.
Step 4: Find the volume of each figure. Show all work and label your answers appropriately.
Step 5: Submit all work, sketches and answers to your teacher.
Assignment:Download the assignment as a PDF.
The rubric for the assignment is located in the orientation section or you can download the PDF here.
There are a couple of different ways you can submit this assignment. Choose the best method for your technology abilities and turn in the assignment to your teacher.
- Scanner: Print and complete the assignment using paper and pencil. Scan your work and submit it through the dropbox.
- Digital Camera: If you do not have a scanner, use a digital camera to take a picture of the work you did in option 1. Go to the Orientation Section of the course to see directions on how to save the picture, download it to your computer, and submit it through the dropbox.
- Whiteboard: You should use this option only if options 1 and 2 are not available to you.
To use the Whiteboard:
- Draw your graph.
- Click on the save button. Name your file with an easily identifiable name (Geo_9.A.16.WrittenAssignment_Graph1) and save it in a folder on your computer that is easily accessible.
- Open a Word Document, click on Insert, Picture, and navigate through the folders on your computer to find your file.
- Click on the file and insert into your word document.