Review the instructions for the Working with Employees Portfolio Assignment.
Complete your 1,050- to 1,400-word paper on Working With Employees.
Format your paper consistant with APA guideline.
Working With Employees: An I/O Commentary on Real World Problems
This required Portfolio assignment will give you experience observing and interacting with people outside of the classroom. It
has been designed to provide you with the opportunity to develop
skills, synthesize knowledge, and integrate learning in a real world
setting. This assignment accomplishes that goal by challenging you to:
- Conduct a 30-minute, semi-structured interview with a manager
- Identify common challenges and issues that arise in the workplace
- Evaluate strategies for addressing these challenges
- Integrate your findings with evidence-based literature from journal articles, textbook, and additional scholarly sources.
Objective: This assignment is designed
to help you identify common problems that managers face when dealing
with employees, and the solutions that managers use in an attempt to
solve those problems. This assignment will also give you an opportunity
to evaluate the efficacy of the solutions from a practical perspective
and from the perspective of research in Industrial/Organizational
Step 1: Identify someone in your
community who is a manager. This should be someone who is responsible
for recruiting and/or selecting employees, supervising employees, and
evaluating employee performance.
Step 2: Conduct a 30-minute interview with the manager. In your interview, be sure to cover the following questions:
- What are some of the common problems that you have experienced with
employees? Be sure to steer the discussion toward relevant topics such
as recruitment, employee selection, employee motivation, employee
training, job attitudes, giving feedback, creating incentives, managing
conflict, and so forth.
- Identify two major problems that the manager mentions and ask how he
or she has responded to those problems. What solutions has the manager
tried? Have the solutions worked?
Step 3: Using scholarly sources such as your
textbook and professional journal articles that you find in the
University Library, research the two problems mentioned by the manager.
What does the field of I/O say about these types of problems or issues?
What recommendations might you make to the manager?
Document your interview and your library research in a 1,000-word paper. Your paper should consist of the following parts:
- An introduction, describing the individual that you interviewed and his/her position
- A summary of the interview focusing on the two major problems and attempted solutions
- A scholarly commentary with recommendations from the perspective of I/O psychology
Be sure to include at least five scholarly
references in your paper. Provide a list your specific interview
questions as an Appendix. Format your paper according to APA guidelines.