Energy is an integral part of your lives; you use energy in your homes, at work,
and on the road every day. Today, the energy that is used comes primarily from
non-renewable fossil fuels, but in recent years there has been an increased
interest in renewable energy sources such as solar and wind energy. No matter
where the energy is derived from, there are benefits and challenges to its use.
No energy resource is perfect—the systems of utilizing these energy sources are
inefficient, they cause pollution, and impact both humans and the environment in
negative ways. One thing is certain, the most effective way to avoid these
downsides is to conserve energy by reducing overall use.
Think about the ways that you use energy in your daily life. From the electricity
that charges your computer or cell phone, to the fuel in your car, everyone
consumes a great amount of energy each day. But have you considered the
following: Where does your energy really come from? How does it impact your
world? Can you make simple changes that have a significant net effect on the
climate and planet?
Review the following resources to learn about your energy, sources of renewable
and non-renewable energy, and energy conservation:
Additionally, you should conduct some outside research of your own to learn of
your local energy resources, sources of renewable and non-renewable energy, and
Your paper should address the following questions:
- What energy resources do you currently rely on in your everyday life?
- List and discuss at least three energy resources that are currently
being utilized in your regular routine. Be sure to consider the
energy that you use at home, during travel, and at work or school.
- What are the origins of the energy sources? Are they renewable or
- What impacts have been observed on both humans and the environment as a
result of increasing energy needs and use? Be sure to discuss both
short-term and long-term impacts.
- If you were to seek a new energy resource for your home, what would you
- List specific reasons to justify your choice of an alternative
- What challenges do you anticipate in implementing this alternative
- How can simple changes make a big impact?
- Discuss three ways to conserve energy in your routine life. Consider
home, work, transportation, and consumption of food and goods.
- Include supporting evidence from documented sources on how these
methods for conserving energy will help reduce overall consumption
Your Assignment should be written in an essay format