- When you hear the word “scientist” what do you envision? Which famous people
or characters from the media come into your mind? What characteristics do
they have in common? Discuss at least three characteristics of your vision
of a scientist.
- Has your image of what a scientist does and how they look changed over time?
If so, how has this changed and what influenced you?
- Are fictional scientists usually the heroes, villains, or a combination of
the two? Provide at least two detailed examples to support your
- How is science portrayed in fictional media (television shows, movies,
music, books, etc.)? Is it seen as a positive, negative, or neutral force in
the world? Give specific examples supporting your position.
- Do you think the portrayal of scientists in the various forms of media
influences how society views people in this profession? Why, or why
- Can the portrayal of science in media influence how certain research and
technology is viewed, and accepted, by the general public (e.g.,
Your Final Project should be written in an essay format, with an introduction and
conclusion. The paper will require you to include details from research
including the course materials and sources you locate on your own. Use APA
format to cite your sources of information, both within parenthetical citations
and also within a reference page at the end of the project.
Basic Writing Expectations:
- A minimum of 1500 words, not counting the title or reference pages