Financial Accounting Questions

SoccerBoss
Category:
Accounting
Price: $20 USD

Question description

(1)  In November, gross earnings at the Humpty Dumpty Riding Company were $100,000.  All earnings are subject to 7.65% FICA taxes.  Federal income tax withheld was $20,000, and State income tax withheld was $1,600.  (1) Calculate net pay for November and, (2) record the payroll.

(2)  In March, the payroll supervisor determines that gross earnings for Horseless Carriage Rides are $120,000.  All earnings are subject to 7.65% FICA taxes, 5.4% state unemployment taxes and, .8% Federal unemployment taxes.  Journalize the employers payroll taxes.

Date

Account

Debit

Credit

(3)  The employee payroll records indicate the following total earnings for 2 employees through the pay period ending December 10. 

Jim Smith $93,500  Lonnie Marshall $108,100

For the pay period ending December 31, 2015, each employees’ gross earnings are $4,500.  The FICA tax rate is 7.65% on earnings up to $110,100.  In other words, any income above $110,100 is not subject to FICA tax.  Though we are not concerned with Medicare in this problem, Medicare is 1.45% of earnings with no limit.

Calculate the FICA withholdings that should be made for each employee for December 31.

NOTE:  For your information, I didn’t bring up the fact that Social Security Tax is really 6.2% with the limit and Medicare is an additional 1.45% for a total of 7.65%.  Medicare has no income limit. 


Tutor Answer

(Top Tutor) Daniel C.
(997)
School: Duke University
PREMIUM TUTOR
Studypool has helped 1,244,100 students
Ask your homework questions. Receive quality answers!

Type your question here (or upload an image)

1831 tutors are online

Brown University





1271 Tutors

California Institute of Technology




2131 Tutors

Carnegie Mellon University




982 Tutors

Columbia University





1256 Tutors

Dartmouth University





2113 Tutors

Emory University





2279 Tutors

Harvard University





599 Tutors

Massachusetts Institute of Technology



2319 Tutors

New York University





1645 Tutors

Notre Dam University





1911 Tutors

Oklahoma University





2122 Tutors

Pennsylvania State University





932 Tutors

Princeton University





1211 Tutors

Stanford University





983 Tutors

University of California





1282 Tutors

Oxford University





123 Tutors

Yale University





2325 Tutors