Assignment 2: Part 2 - Case Study: Basic Cardiac Life Support
As a nurse educator, you are responsible for preparing a clinically-proficient and culturally-competent nursing workforce through nursing education. In addition, you are expected to promote excellence in patient care and safe patient outcomes through patient education.
Motivating learners is the key to achieving learning outcomes. The motivational strategies that you use will help determine the successes or failures of the learning experience. Both intrinsic and extrinsic motivation can foster active learning and develop professional expertise in your learners. However, it is important to strike a balance between both approaches.
In the scenario below, you will use emerging technologies to keep learners engaged and interested. Using technology in classrooms, clinics, or community education centers can be an efficient and effective alternative to conventional learning.
You will create an 8-page paper (excluding title page, references, and Appendices) addressing the following items looking through the lens of the Staff Development Educator, the Community Health-Based Educator, or the Academic Nurse Educator (choose only one educator perspective through which to view the scenario).
Scenario: Basic Cardiac Life Support
You are working for a facility that has just purchased a $60,000 simulation mannequin. As you read the instructions, you find out that the modules you need to teach basic cardiac life support (BCLS) were not included in the simulator purchase. You find that the simulator cannot be used to its fullest potential because the interactive EKG and AED modules have not been purchased. You learn from the director of nursing education that there was not enough money in the budget to purchase the entire package. You are told that you must “make do” with what has been purchased to teach a class of 30 leaners of varying ages and diverse backgrounds.
- Explain how will you deal with motivational issues in this diverse learning group.
- How will you discover intrinsic motivating factors to help the various members of your audience learn the material that you plan to present?
- Determine what possible issues related to resistant learners may you encounter.
- Assess how will you manage the resistant learner.
- What are the possible programs on BCLS support that you can design using this simulation mannequin, despite the limitations imposed on you?
- Outline the advantages of using this simulation package to teach BCLS.
- Determine the limitations of using a simulation mannequin, which does not have an interactive EKG and AED modules, to teach BCLS.
- Plan how can you overcome these limitations.
- Construct a method to evaluate your learners with a percentage to pass.
Submit this assignment to the W2:
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria |
|Identified strategies to manage motivational issues specific to the target audience.|
|Described methods to assess intrinsic motivational factors of the target audience.|
|Identified potential challenges related to the resistant learner.|
|Described ways to manage the resistant learner.|
|Identified and discussed various ways that the BCLS program can be taught within the limited technology of the simulation mannequin.|
|Identified methods that can handle the limitations of the simulation mannequin and provided ways it can enhance the learning experience.|
|Identified strategies to manage further unforeseen technology failures in the learning environment.|
|Successfully evaluated the learners at the end of the class using the designed method and percentage to pass.|
|Followed APA guidelines for writing style, spelling and grammar, and citation of sources.|