Please note there are TWO parts this week (an introduction
and the lecture discussion), and each part has several questions. Make
sure you address each question.
Please combine your answers to both parts into one "main" post.
Part 1: Getting to know you!
- Where do you live - what town/state?
- What made you decide to come to school and what degree are you pursuing?
- Do you have obstacles you can predict will get in your way of learning online?
- Tell us a little about yourself - for example: are you
married? Do you have children, pets, or hobbies that will help us to get
to know you a little more?
- Attach a picture of yourself if you have one available.
Part 2: Positive Attitude!
As we noted earlier, what we tell ourselves about ourselves and about
how others view us can greatly affect how we interact with others. A
big part of improving our communication with others relies on our daily
mental habits concerning our self-concept (such as self-talk and
accurate self-reflection) and the practices we use to form our
perceptions of others (such as mindfulness, other orientation, and
avoiding stereotyping). Consciously improving our self-concept and the
ways we perceive others can have a very positive effect on our overall
attitude when approaching communication and interaction with others.
- Discuss the importance of positive attitude in our communication skills, personal lives, and workplace.
- How do you think culture, gender, technology, and ethics affect communication successes and failures?
- How do you think this course will prepare you in reaching the goals of your professional mission statement?