5.4 Problem Analysis Paper
1. Use resources available to locate a current newspaper article on an unethical business practice.
2. Prepare a 3 -4 page paper that is grammatically correct, 500 – 700 words in length, and cites sources in accordance with APA standards and that answers the following questions:
a. What is/are the underlying ethical dilemma(s) and its causes that gave rise to the
unethical business practice(s)?
i. Use the Template for Analyzing the Logic of an Article.docx to inform your analysis.
ii. Provide a detailed explanation for your analysis that demonstrates clear, insightful
b. Using the concept of the Four Lens Model of Worldview Development, what aspects of
the culture, experience, academics, or scripture may have contributed or prevented the unethical business practice(s). Provide a detailed explanation for your analysis that demonstrates
clear, insightful, critical thinking.
c. Review the concept of bounded ethicality and address the below questions.
i. How does this concept apply to the situation(s) described in the article?
ii. Provide a detailed explanation for your analysis that demonstrates clear, insightful,
Template for analyzing the logic of an article.
1. The main purpose of this article is (State as accurately as possible the author’s purpose for writing the article):
2. The key question that the author is addressing is (Figure out the key question in the mind of the author when s/he wrote the article):
3. The most important information in this article is (Figure out the facts, experiences, data
the author is using to support her/his conclusions):
4. The main inferences/conclusions in this article are (Identify the key conclusions the author
comes to and presents in the article):
5. The key concept(s) we need to understand in this article is (are) AND By these concepts the author means (Figure out the most important ideas you would have to understand in order to
understand the author’s line of reasoning):
6. The main assumption(s) underlying the author’s thinking is (are) (Figure out what the author is taking for granted [that might be questioned]):
7a. If we take this line of reasoning seriously, the implications are (What consequences are likely to follow if people take the author’s line of reasoning seriously):
7b. If we fail to take this line of reasoning seriously, the implications are (What consequences are likely to follow if people ignore the author’s reasoning):
8. The main point(s) of view presented in this article is (are) (What is the author looking at, and how
is s/he seeing it):