Assignment 2.1: Policemen of the World
Thesis and Outline
Due Week 7 and worth 70 points
By the mid-20th century, the United States had become the dominant
force in international relations. Some have argued that the United States’
military functions as the world’s “police.” This assignment covers the manner in
which this shift occurred and the consequences the United States faces as a
result of its status as “policemen of the world.” Using the Internet and
reputable news sources, research two (2) real-life international incidents from
the past five (5) years in which:
- The U.S. used military action abroad.
- Controversy existed within the American public regarding U.S.
- Controversy existed within the country or countries affected by U.S.
- Write a thesis statement that is one to two (1-2) sentences long in which
- State your thesis on the significance of the current role of the US
military, as exemplified in the two (2) real-life international incidents that
you have researched. Justify your response.
For the first part of this assignment you will
create a thesis statement. A thesis statement is usually a single sentence
somewhere in your first paragraph that presents your main idea to the reader.
The body of the essay organizes the material you gather and present in support
of your main idea. Keep in mind that a thesis is an interpretation of a question
or subject, not the subject itself. (Note: Please consult the Purdue OWL Website
with tips on how to construct a proper thesis; the website can be found at: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/545/01/
For the next part of this
assignment you will create an outline of the main points you want to address in
this paper. This will serve as the basis for your Assignment 2.2 Final Draft.
(Note: Please use the Purdue Owl Website to assist you with this assignment;
this website can be accessed at: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/engagement/2/2/55/
- Write a one to two (1-2) page outline in which you:
- Describe the two (2) international events involving the US military from the
past five (5) years you investigated that can be traced back to a foreign policy
created after the Civil War.
- List three (3) aspects of US history since 1865 that have led to the US’s
rise as a world super power policeman.
- List three to five (3-5) international incidents since World War II where
America has taken on a policing role.
- List three to five (3-5) driving forces that fueled international policy
decisions involving the international incidents you outlined previously.
(Consider treaties, exit strategies, elections, wars, etc.)
- Use at least three (3) academic references besides or in addition to the
textbook. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch
margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or
school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s
name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and
the reference page are not included in the required assignment page
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment
- Identify and discuss the different ways that the Civil War, Reconstruction,
and Industrialization after the Civil War have shaped America’s history.
- Summarize and discuss the ways that formal policies of government have
influenced the direction of historical and social development in the United
- Recognize the major turning points in American history since the Civil
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in contemporary
- Write clearly and concisely about contemporary U.S. history using proper