1. Define a cell.
2. Identify (list) the two basic types of cells.
3. Would you find proteins inside cells or cells inside proteins? (choose
4. What two things make osmosis a special type of diffusion?
5. What is a selectively permeable membrane? (Also called a semi-permeable
6. Explain what happens to a cell when placed in isotonic, hypotonic and
7. Explain the basic organization (main components) of a plasma membrane. Include
at least 4 distinct parts.
8. Identify (a) a similarity and (b) a difference between facilitated
transport and active transport; do not state they both move substances across
9. What is an organelle? Which organelle is a processing, packaging
and shipping center for proteins and lipids?
10. Where would you find the nucleolus? What happens there?
11. What is the role of the ribosome?
12. Which organelle digests macromolecules, worn out cell parts, debris and
13. What structures are associated with cell movement?
14. What is the most significant difference in structure between rough and
smooth ER? What type of macromolecule do each produce?
15. Which organelle makes ATP?
16. What is the most important product of cellular respiration?
17. List the three major steps in cellular respiration. (3 pts)
18. How does the body use the oxygen that we breathe? In other words, what
is oxygen's final function?
19. What ATP producing process occurs during anaerobic conditions?
20. Glucose enters cells from the blood stream by what type of transport?
21. What are the 4 major types of tissue? (List.)
22. What type of epithelial cells are found in the lining of the nose?
23. The skin is the major organ of the _____________ system. The top
layer of the skin is called the ______________. (2 pts)
24. What organs are part of the nervous system? What does the system do for
25. Which organ system consists of glands that secrete hormones into the
26. List 3 organs found in the abdominal cavity.
27. Explain how a negative feedback mechanism differs from a positive