Please answer each of the following six questions in 4-5 typewritten sentences each, no more than a paragraph per answer. You may use lecture, the texts for the class and other materials (only if necessary) to answer the questions, but you must cite for all ideas and quoted text drawn from these sources. Paraphrasing is preferred over quoted text in answers.
1)The President is Commander in Chief, but also a civilian. Is there a reason why this is important? Explain.
2) Outline the various legislative powers the President actually has in U.S. government.
3) How did the spoils system affect the U.S. bureaucracy before it was changed in the 19th century? How was it changed?
4) What sort of bureaucratic agency is the U.S. Postal Service? Why do we define it as such?
5) Describe two of the methods for reducing the size or number of bureaucratic agencies.
6) What is the difference between a budget deficit and the national debt? In your opinion, which should be the bigger concern during the yearly budget process?
7) What is the largest discretionary area of spending in the U.S. federal budget? (A one-sentence answer is fine in this case.)