Assignment 3: Obesity in America
Due Week 9 and worth 65 points
Obesity in America is considered an epidemic. There are many contributing
factors to obesity (both childhood and adult), such as biological,
environmental, social, or economic factors. Review the information on obesity on
pages 383 to 385 in the textbook. You may also use the Internet or Strayer
Library to research obesity and its causes.
Write a one to two page (1-2) page essay in which you:
- Describe the effect that obesity (childhood and / or adult) has had on you
personally or your community.
- Select one (1) contributing factor to childhood or adult obesity. Recommend
two (2) preventative measures related to the selected factor that people can
take in order to reduce their chance of becoming obese.
- Discuss one (1) sociological theory that relates to the selected
contributing factor to obesity.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch
margins on all sides. Check with your professor for any additional
- To keep this essay short and manageable, your only sources for the essay
should be the article from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute and the
sections noted in your text. For this reason, APA citations or references are
not required for this assignment.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s
name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is
not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment
- Define the basic concepts used in the discipline of sociology.
- Explain the major theoretical paradigms of sociology.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in
- Write clearly and concisely about sociology using proper writing
Click here to view the grading rubric for this assignment.