Assignment 2: Child Abuse in Homes of Substance Abusers
Research clearly indicates a connection between substance
abuse and child maltreatment. Among confirmed cases of child
maltreatment, 40 percent involve the use of alcohol or drugs.
An estimated 480,000 children are mistreated each year by a
caretaker who has alcohol or drug problems. Additionally, alcohol and
drug problems are factors in a majority of cases of emotional abuse and
Answer the following:
- Given these statistics, why do you think a
more concerted effort is not made in the media to make citizens
aware of the association between substance abuse and child abuse?
- Choose one of the following audiences, and describe a plan to heighten awareness of this problem:
- Grade and high school students
- Parent or child organizations such as Girl Scouts or Boy Scouts
- Welfare recipients
- Include three action points for implementing
this awareness plan nationwide to the chosen audience. Be sure to
- Who will deliver the information?
- How will the information be delivered?
- What systems will be put in place for support if needed by participants?
- Include one additional action point to address prevention strategies in the population chosen above.
Create a two- to three-page plan. Submit your plan as a Word document to the M3: Assignment 2 Dropbox by Wednesday, December 2, 2015.
Assignment 2 Grading Criteria
Described at least two
reasons why a more concerted effort is not made in the media to make
citizens aware of the association between substance abuse and child
Developed a plan of how
awareness of this association could be raised in one of the following
realms: grade and high school students; parent or child organizations
such as Girl Scouts or Boy Scouts; and welfare recipients.
Included three action points for implementing this plan nationwide.
Included one action point for a prevention strategy in the chosen population.
Wrote in a clear, concise,
and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate
representation and attribution of sources; displayed accurate spelling,
grammar, and punctuation.