The Running Case Project
You work on a full-scale network security project for a fictitious company, Green globe R&D, Inc., an environmental research and “green” design company. Green Globe works with architects, construction companies, and others in designing environmentally sound structures and conducts independent environmental impact studies for government agencies, corporations, and educational institutions. Some filed work is outsourced, with one or more projects managers and several engineering stuff overseeing short-term projects in more then 100 countries.
Long-term studies often use doctoral students from American universities in addition to a small group of Green Globe staff. The company´s employees are highly diversified.
Green Globe has recently closed a deal to provide design oversight and research services to a page international construction corporation. It has also been negotiating with the EPA to provide impacts studies on a wide range of projects. As a result, the company needs ti expand its base of operations to support expected growth of more then 300% over the next 18 months and 150% per year for the next five years.
Because of the sensitive nature of the company´s work and the competition it faces, it requires hight security. Additionally, it has received threats from unknown sources. Federal law enforcement agencies are investigating these threats, but the company is concerned about being a target for cyberterrorists, especially when working in socially and politically volatile regions.
Green Globe has one location cable if supporting expansion in terms of space and needs secure mobile services for stuff in the field around the globe as well as at its main offices. It has no plans to move or open satellite offices at this time but it considering adding on to its current building, a large warehouse in an airpark, It has allocated a generous budget to purchase equipment.
Your firm has bin hired to design a secure network for Green Globe. Your supervisor has dispatched you to its locations to evaluate its needs, assess the location, and complete a preliminary design. The facility layout is shown in a diagram your instructor will provide.
Your design should meet these major requirements:
- One fully networked location, 100% company owned, in Phoenix,AZ. This location will be the permanent base of operation.
- Capable of supporting up to 200 full-time users on these departments: Account Management; Project Management; Research and Development; Engineering; Sales and Marketing; Legal; Administration (includes office staff and management); Reports and Publications; Client Services; and Facilities and Technology Support.
- High security required. Extremely sensitive data must remain secure.
- Temporary access to specific resources must be available for external entities, which includes some limited mobile access.
- The company must adhere to applicable state and federal laws on information security and privacy.