You hired to direct the systems engineering and integration of a new project. The attributes of the project are:
1. The time from project initiation to production of the first unit is 18 months.
2. The product is 25% software, 50% electronic components, and 25% non- electronic, plastic, and metallic components.
3. The product must have at least a 5yr lifetime, which includes the initial 18 months in 1), before replacement or retirement.
4. The product will be used by persons 12-76 years of age.
5. The product poses no safety (loss of life or property) concerns for consumers.
6. The product is a consumer item and will be sold through retail and online outlets.
7. The product has some parts that the consumer can repair given a spare but other repairs must be done on items returned to the manufacturer.
8. You will determine the schedule and staffing for each phase of the life cycle of this product with the exception of (a) the 18 month time to production of the first unit and (b) the expected 5yr lifetime of the product.
9. You will determine the amount of the product produced.
a systems engineering management plan (SEMP) for this project. You may choose
to instantiate a product meeting items 1) - 9) above but that is not necessary
for completing this homework.
full credit on this homework, you must address topics in each of the text
chapters 1-14 that we introduced or discussed in class. This equates to 7
points per chapter. For extra credit give some thought to text chapters 15-17
for 4 points per chapter.
SEMP must be no longer than 8 pages long (typed, single-spaced, 11 point font,
standard margins for your word processor) including all text, tables, and
figures, title page, and table of contents. Figure 18-3 “Systems engineering
management plan (SEMP) outline”, page 644 of the 5th edition of our text
will be the framework for your exam paper. You might also want to consult the
online Systems Engineering Book of Knowledge http://sebokwiki.org/wiki/Planning.