Assignment 1: Hurricanes Web Assignment
Access the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration (NOAA) Create-A-Cane site here, or copy and
paste this address into your browser
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/outreach/games/canelab.htm. Follow the instructions
below to answer the questions.
Use this interactive game to create a "perfect
storm." Go through and adjust the atmospheric conditions to produce a powerful
hurricane. If you get the conditions perfect, you will get a score of 80 and
the simulation will prompt you to answer a few questions. If you go on to
answer the questions correctly, you can boost your score to 100. It may take
you several attempts to get your perfect storm and you do not need to report
your score. Use the help buttons to understand how each factor contributes to
the formation of the storm. Once you are satisfied with your score, answer the
questions below. Copy and paste the questions into a word document.
1. What types of winds were required in each level
of the atmosphere? Describe the wind speed and direction at each level.
2. Why is it critical that all levels blow in the
same direction to form a tropical storm? What happens when you have lower winds
blowing a different direction than upper winds?
3. It seems intuitive that stronger winds would be
better for forming a hurricane. Why is this not the case?
4. What was the ideal latitude range for the
formation of the tropical storm? Why?
5. Given that tropical storms/hurricanes require
high moisture and temperatures, why can’t tropical storms form at the equator
(0 degrees latitude), where temperatures and moisture are generally very high?
6. What moisture level was required for each of the
7. Why is moisture critical to form a hurricane?
8. How did the sea temperature affect your score?
9. Which of the above factors seem to make the
biggest difference in your score and why?
10. Explain why hurricanes dissipate so quickly once
they make landfall.
Assignment 2: Parallax angle and Hertzsprung-Russell
Download the assignment worksheet by clicking here
and follow the instructions to complete it.