This assignment contains two (2) deliverables: a summary document to be delivered in a word processor document format and a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) to be delivered in a project file.
As the project manager for an IT department, you have been assigned to manage the project of deploying a new VoIP phone system to the company’s campus. The campus consists of three (3) different buildings, each with twenty to fifty (20 to 50) workstations. The project must be completed in ninety (90) calendar days starting on November 1.
Deliverable 1: Summary (MS Word or open source equivalent)
1. Write a one to two (1-2) page summary document in which you:
a. Summarize the project requirements and other assumptions (e.g., budget, human resources, workload, environmental dependencies, etc.).
b. Define a work breakdown structure and describe the methodology behind constructing one.
Deliverable 2: WBS (MS Project or open source equivalent)
2. Use Microsoft Project to create a WBS which:
a. Contains at least five (5) main tasks, one for each of the PMBOK® process areas.
b. Contains at least sixty (60) line items distributed in ten (10) or more work packages.
c. Contains Work Breakdown Structure Code for each task.
d. Presents a duration estimate for each task which results in a duration estimate for the project not to exceed the requirements described in the overview.
Deliverable one (1) of your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Identify how project management improves the success of information technology projects.
- Explain the relationship of the scope of a project to the work breakdown structure.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in IT project management.
- Write clearly and concisely about issues in IT project management using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.