Individual Project 1
Use the following company profile and scenario as the subject of your plan:
A former dot com company, Verbania, Inc., shut down in 2001 because of the Internet bubble burst. It is attempting to reinvent and launch itself once again. It is looking for a complete information technology (IT) solution that includes hardware, software, networking, and security, among other requirements. Verbania’s core product will be a social networking Web site and mobile application that rivals the big names that currently represent social media. It is attempting to find the best features and consolidate them into its product. The company is looking to establish its headquarters in the Silicon Valley region in California. The executives at Verbania are looking for your company to propose a solution that will endure future Internet trends.
The basic user requirements for the social networking solution must include but are not limited to the following:
- Creating an account and a profile
- Creating discussion forums and posting
- Search capability for people
- Gaming component
- Calendar component for reminders
- Instant messaging and Voice Over Internet protocol (VOIP)-type calling between friends
- Secure account and email feature
- Availability seven days a week
The basic company requirements for the social networking solution must include but are not limited to the following:
- Collect, store, back up, and mine user data to better understand users.
- Integrate collected data with customer relationship management (CRM) to improve business and customer support processes.
- Analyze user patterns, behavior, and generated traffic to present to advertisers.
Requested functionality for the social networking application includes the following:
- Account setup and log-in functionality
- Creating a profile
- Adding or removing friends
- Posting to a discussion area
Research and analyze the stated requirements. What unstated requirements are there and what method(s) would you use to collect a more comprehensive set of requirements? Develop a Word document that describes all the requirements and explains how they would be met using hardware, software, networking and security. In other words, summarize the necessary elements of the solution necessary to address the requirements. Support your proposal.
Submit a 3-5 page Word document that includes a title page and contents explaining and illustrating your requirements analysis. The document should be APA formatted.
The first task for the team is to create the Systems Implementation Plan document shell that includes the sections denoted below. As you progress through each project phase, you will add the necessary content to each section of the capstone project document. Appropriate research and collaboration between team members should be conducted to support the multi-disciplinary solution. Any assumptions must be documented within the final document..
- Use Word (APA formatting) to create the Systems Implementation Plan document shell.
- Title Page
- Course number and name
- Project name
- Names, project roles, and IT specialization for each team member
- Table of Contents (TOC)
- Use an autogenerated TOC.
- This should be on a separate page.
- Update the fields of the TOC so that it is up-to-date before submitting your project.
- Section Headings (Create each heading on a new page with TBD as content, except for sections listed under New Content below.)
- Executive Summary (Week 5 – Individual Activity: 1-2 pages)
- Section One: Planning and System Requirements (Week 1: 5 to 7 pages)
- Section Two: System Analysis (Week 2: 6 to 8 pages)
- Section Three: System Design (Week 3: 5 to 7 pages)
- Section Four: System Development (Week 4 - Final Submission: 8 to 10 pages)
- Section Five: System Implementation and Maintenance (Week 5 - Individual Activity: 3 to 4 pages)
- Final Insights of Capstone Project (Week 5 – Individual Activity: 1 to 2 pages)
Create a Word document according to the above specified items. This will serve as your template for the capstone project for the course. Throughout the course, you will develop and insert content into your template.
New Content for Week 1: Planning and System Requirements
For this week’s contribution to the overall capstone project, you will specify the pertinent requirements, propose the necessary solution elements (related to the IT disciplines), and develop a high level plan for implementing the solution. . This first section of the Systems Implementation Plan should answer the following questions:
- What specific and detailed requirements are addressed in the solution, and how?
- What does Verbania need from an IT perspective to set up the needed infrastructure?
- What is included in the solution's hardware and software infrastructure?
Include a high level network diagram that illustrates the required hardware/software infrastructure on the company's premise. Explain access from the perspective of employee (internal and external access) and end user (remote access).
Prepare 5-7 pages of content describing Planning and System Requirements. Insert content into the template document under Section One. Submit the complete document containing all elements of the activities thus far