i need clear answers and each question needs to be at least 3 sentence
• How did the discipline of Religious Studies start?
• What did early Religious Studies focus on and why?
• Why does the author emphasize the phrase "attempt to understand" on page 13?
• What is the "insider/outsider" issue discussed on pages 14-15?
• Be able to name and briefly explain two different ways of understanding God or the
Sacred (monotheism, polytheism, pantheism).
• What is a functional definition of religion? Give an example.
• Why is it so difficult to find a definition of religion?
• Be able to name the elements of religion and explain each one briefly.
• Be able to discuss one or two functions of myth.
• Be able to discuss one or two functions of ritual.
• What is sacrifice? Why do people make sacrifices, whether external (material) or
Definitions (don’t rely just on the glossaries at the end of the chapters, they are incomplete):
• Religions of Salvation (including examples)
• Religions of Structure (including examples)
I may also include one or more of the “To think about” questions, from chapter 2 or 3:
• What is the difference between magic and religion? What is the difference between
superstition and religion?
• Why do people have religion?
• Think about a story or myth from your family, country, or religion and reflect on its role
in your life and the life of others. Does it affect understanding? Feelings? Motivations?
Actions? Something else?
• Can you express yourself without using symbols? Explain your answer.