A researcher wishes to operationalize her study variables in the following manner. How might she go about doing so? Summarize your responses in tabular form (see example below), and supplement your table with a supporting narrative.
- Age (continuous)
- Gender (dichotomous)
- Ethnicity (categorical)
- Education (ordinal)
- Income (continuous)
- Marital status (categorical)
- Weight (continuous)
- Blood pressure (continuous)
- Hypertension (dichotomous)
- Body temperature (continuous)
- Health insurance status (categorical)
- Smoking status (dichotomous)
- Cancer Stage (ordinal)
Age in years
How old were you on your last birthday?
Narrative: When age is operationalized in this manner, one would merely need to query the respondent to determine the age she turned on her last birthday. Alternatively, the researcher could ask the respondent to provide his birth date and year, and then calculate age at a later time.
- You are expected to incorporate relevant background readings into your responses.
- Your paper should be written in your own words. This will enable me to assess your level of understanding.
- In order to earn full credit, you must clearly show that you have read ALL required background materials.
- Be sure to cite your references in the text of all papers and on the reference list at theend. For examples, look at the way the references are listed in the modules and on the background reading list.
- Proofread your paper to be sure grammar and punctuation are correct and that each part of the assignment has been address clearly and completely.
Length: 2-3 pages typed, double-spaced.