If you need me to copy the textbook pages needed for this, Let me know.
Please provide your answers in a thought-out, coherent form and use complete sentences.
Each of these questions asks you to analyze the issues presented in the Chapter. In addition
to presenting direct answers, you will also be expected to provide your opinion(s). If
possible, please also share any unique insights you may have regarding the issues based on
your background and life experiences.
Read: Case #7 – Google: The Quest to Balance Privacy with Profits (pages 458-471)
Read: Case #14 – Apple Inc.’s Ethical Successes and Challenges (pages 537-545)
First created in 1998, Google has eased the availability of information more than ever
before. Billions of searches are made each day through its search engine. However, lack of
Internet privacy has become an issue for many people. While Google tries to be an ethical
company, achieving the balance between privacy and advancement has been a concern in
Similarly, Apple Inc. has experienced ethical issues which could sully the company’s
future success in the world of technology manufacturing. Like Google, Apple using
consumer tracking to increase their knowledge about their market. Many government
officials do not agree with this policy. Apple Inc. has faced other dilemmas in the area of
Using the concepts presented in Chapter 4 as well as information you have read in the
Google and Apple Inc. cases, please answer the following questions:
1) How can Google use its power to improve the lives of its stakeholders?
2) Is there any way Google can respect privacy and yet still maintain its profitability?
Give at least two examples.
3) What are some of the effects government regulation of the Internet might have on
4) Explain how Apple’s philosophy and organizational culture have impacted how it
handles ethical decisions.
5) Why is Apple’s industry so competitive? How could this affect the ethical risk in
6) How do you think Apple has handled the various ethical issues that it has faced in
the past? Justify your answer.
7) Compare and contrast two areas of social responsibility that both Google and Apple
face. Clarify how each is dealing with the particular area.
8) While some people believe MLM is a pyramid scheme, others believe MLM is
simply a sales compensation method. Do you agree or disagree with this position?
Why or why not?