Google and Read Appendix A – Tuning In, Tuning Out: The Strange Disappearance of Social Capital in America, by Robert Putnam. Dr. Putnam has studied the dynamics of social connections and how they affect democracy in the U.S. for many years. His article provides the initial framings for a research study.
Next, read "Still Bowling Alone? The Post 9/11 Split" by Thomas Sander and Robert Putnam. This is an updated analysis of social capital in the U.S.
In a two page paper (not including title and reference pages), address the following:
From Appendix A - Tuning In, Tuning Out
From "Still Bowling Alone? The Post 9/11 Split"
- Identify Dr. Putnam's research question and two or three hypotheses he addresses.
- Describe at least three variables he uses to measure civic engagement.
- Analyze Dr. Putnam's argument. Include in your analysis whether you believe his research methodology is valid and discuss the additions you would make to his argument.
- Assess the change in social capital over the last 15 years.
- Evaluate how the internet and increased media outlets have changed the nature of social capital post 9/11. Discuss your opinion of today's level of social capital in America.
The paper must be two in length and formatted according to APA style. Cite your resources in text and on the reference page.